The Office of Undergraduate Research will sponsor a limited number of Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities (URCA) travel funds during the academic year. The URCA funds are designed to enhance undergraduate involvement and experiences by supporting only travel expenses to present at conferences.
In order to provide as many opportunities for undergraduate researchers as possible, URCA funds will be limited to a maximum of $700.00 per student per academic year.
The undergraduates will be required to present their research at the annual Symposium of Student Scholars. Students who have completed a presentation or exhibition at an off-campus venue as a result of this program will be designated as an Undergraduate Research Scholar and presented with an Undergraduate Research Honor Cord prior to graduation.
Upon the completion of the project(s), recipients are required to send a final report to The Office of Undergraduate Research that includes abstract(s) of the project results and a list of the presentations/ publications/ exhibitions from the work completed.
Application Due Dates
- First Friday of July, 7/7/17 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of October, 10/6/17 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of December, 12/1/17 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of February, 2/2/18 at 11:59pm
- First Friday of April, 4/6/18 at 11:59pm
- Faculty mentors must be under contract at Kennesaw.
- Funds may only be used for travel.
- Students who are not funded the first time they submit are strongly urged to apply again the following round if they can address the review committee's concerns.
- Students must be enrolled at KSU during the time period of the travel or have graduated the previous semester
- The travel must be completed between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2018
- Travel must involve a presentation rather than travel for educational purposes only.
- Individual students may receive only $700 maximum per academic year.
- Funded students must complete all travel-related paperwork no later than four weeks after their trip (or four weeks after receiving notification of funding if their travel occurred prior to the URCA deadline). Students who do not complete the paperwork in this timeframe will forfeit the funding.
- Students who travel in the months of May and June must submit their paperwork more quickly to meet University deadlines regarding funding; paperwork is due no later than one week after the trip or the funding will be forfeited.
- Students applying for supplies/materials must be currently enrolled students.
- Requests for materials that could be obtained in another manner (e.g., a book available at the library, software available for free at KSU) will not be funded.
- There is a plan for completing the research while the student is still an undergraduate
Up to $700 per student.
The review committee (composed of one faculty member per college) evaluates each application according to a rubric. These are the criteria by which your application will be evaluated. Not all funding requests are accepted; therefore, we strongly recommend that you refer to the rubric when completing your application: Evaluation Rubric
If you have questions about how much detail you should include in each section, check out our sample application here.
Selection is competitive. The selection committee will not consider late or incomplete applications for any reason. You will be notified within two weeks of the deadline. All travel paperwork must be submitted within four weeks of the travel. For travel to conferences, students must be accepted to present at a conference and must provide documentation of their acceptance in their application.
All KSU-supported research projects are administered in accordance with established University fiscal procedures and research policies. These include all travel regulations, policies relating to the protection of human subjects, and policies related to intellectual property rights. All publications and presentations must acknowledge the assistance of Kennesaw State University.
The faculty member and students are expected to obtain Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval prior to collecting any data if the project includes research involving human or animal participants.
- Requirements for travel funds:
- Requirements for supplies/materials funding:
Selection and Application Process
Electronic Proposal Submission Guidelines:
Applications must be submitted in the form below. The form consists of two sections: Faculty Section and Student Section. The faculty section should be clearly written by the faculty mentor; the student section should be clearly written by the student. Student sections that appear to have been written by the faculty mentor will not be considered.
Click here to view a sample application.
Click here to view the evaluation rubric.
It will be the responsibility of the individual submitting the proposal to ascertain that the proposal materials are complete when submitted (all requested information is included; no materials missing). The funding committee will not consider late or incomplete applications.Time to Submit Your Application?