- Upon completion of this chapter, readers will be able to:
- Explain and apply the 5 primary characteristics of technical definitions.
- Write a definition using appropriate content, descriptors, details, length, placement, and audience analysis.
- Avoid common technical definition problems.
- Explain and apply the 5 primary characteristics of technical descriptions.
- Write a description using the 6 common parts.
- Organize a description according to the 3 common organizational patterns.
Arnett, Jonathan, "02.14: Technical Definitions and Descriptions" (2019). Open Technical Communication. 15.